Donors can set up ACH donations on the donor interface, or they can ask an Administrator to manually add the donation from their profile; however, the initial bank verification must be initiated through the donor interface. The donations are processed in Stripe and then added to the Giving dashboard.
Canadian Customers: ACH/EFT is not supported for Canadian organizations.
Giving and Plaid (account verification software) need to verify the ownership of a bank account before it can be used for donations. Verification shows that the donor has access to the bank account being connected, they've given permission to withdraw money, and they've connected the correct account.
There are three types of Plaid verification:
- Instant Verification: Most banks support instant verification after the donor provides their bank login credentials.
- Plaid Automatic: For banks that don't support instant verification, most users will be walked through a system of verification that's based on a combination of login credentials and micro-deposits. Verification of the deposits happens transparently to the user and the process doesn't require user interaction, but it takes a few days to complete.
- Plaid Manual: When instant verification or automated micro-deposits aren't supported, Plaid uses same-day ACH micro-deposits. This process requires donors to come back to verify their accounts manually, but the process only takes one day.
After a donor initiates ACH bank transfer that requires a micro-deposit verification, they might see one of the following statuses when logged in to Giving on Church Center:
- Verification in Progress: The Plaid automatic micro-deposit is still in process. The process takes a few days to complete, and after the account is verified, the status will clear.
- Unverified/Verify account: The donor needs to click Verify account to verify the amounts deposited into their bank account.
If the payment account doesn't have a status next to it, the donor can select it as their payment method.
While Admins can't initiate an ACH verification, they can view the verification status a donor's profile. There are three possible verification statuses:
- Verified: The bank account has been verified, and the donor can use this as a payment method.
- In Progress: The Plaid automatic micro-deposit is still in process. The process takes a few days to complete, and after the account is verified, the status will update to Verified.
- Waiting for donor: The donor needs to log in to Church Center to complete the Plaid manual verification.
ACH donations typically take 7-10 business days to go from the time of the donation to the time Stripe deposits to your church's bank.
The ACH donation is given, securing a Received Date for the donation. Donations can be initiated by the donor, by an admin on the donor's behalf, or by the system (in the case of a recurring donation).
The ACH donation is marked In Transit while the donor's bank completes the charge. ACH donations take anywhere from 2-5 business days to post to Stripe and Giving as successful donations. Some banks add an additional 2-3 business days if it's the very first time the donor has initiated an ACH donation through Giving.
If the donation succeeds, the In Transit status is removed. Then the donation can be refunded or edited by an administrator.
If the donation fails, the donor is notified via email, and the donation is marked as failed in the donor's account history. Failed ACH donations will incur a $1 fee charged to your organization.
- The donation is deposited (paid out) to your church's bank. Stripe has a rolling two-day payout schedule, so an ACH donation will remain with Stripe for another day or two before it's queued for a payout to your bank. It will take another 3-5 business days for a Stripe transfer to make its way to your church bank account.
ACH donations start processing 120 minutes after the donation is initiated, and the donation is marked with an Awaiting Transit stamp. If a donor needs to cancel an ACH donation within that timeframe, an Administrator can cancel the donation before it's processed. In case of a mistake when giving, ACH donations will not start the process until 120 minutes after the donation is initiated.