If a donor needs to correct a donation, receive a refund for a donation, reassign a donation to a different person, or cancel or delete a donation, an Administrator can make those changes on the donation itself.
From the donation list or from a person's profile, select a donation.
Correct or Edit
On any type of donation, use the Edit Donation button to make changes to the donation.
- Update the total amount of the donation.
- Split the donation into different funds.
- Change the received date to today's date if you make changes.
- Verify the Payment Source is still the same.
Save to keep the changes; Cancel to remove any changes.
The Counted date will stay the same as the date of the batch, but the other information will change to match the changes you save.
An ACH donation amount can be edited only as long as the total is not changed. If you try to split the donation and go over the amount donated, you'll receive an error and won't be able to save.
The date of an ACH donation cannot be changed.
A credit or debit card donation can be edited as long as the total is not changed. If you try to split the donation and go over the amount donated, you'll receive an error and won't be able to save.
The date of an credit or debit card donation cannot be changed.
Once a donation is edited, the edit shows in the donation's Adjustment History.
If a donation is able to be refunded, the Refund button will be bold.
Do not issue refunds directly in Stripe!
- Refunds should be handled in Giving to ensure the data is accurate.
- 100% of the donation must be refunded; partial refunds are not available.
- When a donation is refunded, the donation will still appear in the Giving database stamped as refunded. It won't contribute to stats and totals.
- A refunded donation will appear in a donor's history on the donor interface but won't appear in any statements issued to the donor.
Once a donation is refunded, the donation shows the Adjustment History.
If you have a donation that was actually assigned to the wrong donor, it's easy to reassign the donation to the correct donor. Find the donation in question select the Change Donor button.
Type the name of the donor you're changing the donation to and choose them from the list.
Select Save to finalize the change.
If you find you have two donors who are the same person, you can merge them.
If you are entering checks with a check reader, and the reader gives you a name different from what's on the check, reassign that donation right when the check is read by selecting Associate New Donor.
Delete or Cancel
Cash and check donations can be deleted at any time using the Delete button.
ACH donations cannot be deleted, but they can be canceled within the two hour window of when the donation was given.
From the donation, select Cancel to stop the donation from going through.
Once you confirm the cancellation, the donation will be removed from the donor profile completely.